Photo via: westwingnow.de
You may also be interested in 🙂
- If you love the Scalamandre zebras but would like a less expensive option, try out this easy DIY zebra wallpaper tutorial that can be done in a day. As some of you may remember…when I was making over my master bathroom, I had a dilemma. The Scalamandre Zebra Wallpaper I fell in love with the Scalamandre zebra wallpaper but couldn’t justify the price for my builder-grade room. (If you also really love it, and want to splurge, you can find it at decoratorsbest.com). I contemplated doing something else…or just leaving the walls just as they were (painted gray). But I really loved that zebra pattern! So in the end, I did what I usually do when my vision for the room doesn’t match my budget…figured out a way to make it a DIY project. And judging by the number of questions I got about it, I’m not the only one who might be doing this, so I thought I would share how to make my DIY version of the Scalamandre zebra wallpaper. The Hunt For A Stencil For me, trying to make something look like wallpaper when it’s not means stenciling. (I’m not a particularly good artist, so hand-painting zebras was definitely out of the question!) The great thing about doing it yourself is that you get to customize it however you want. And I didn’t really like the arrows in the original wallpaper. It seemed like they were shooting at the zebras which didn’t really give me the relaxing zen feeling that I wanted for the bathroom. That meant all I needed was a zebra stencil…how hard could that be? So off I went to try to find a zebra stencil. One that was big enough to make a statement, had enough character to be interesting and could be delivered to my house in 2 days. (The bathroom makeover was part of the One Room Challenge so everything was a bit of a rush.) There were all kinds of zebra striped stencils like this one* but they weren’t actually of zebras. Large Zebra Stencil* Finally, I found this one. I really liked the zebra’s attitude, but it was actually a little too big and it ships from Korea…meeting my 2-day delivery deadline just wasn’t going to happen. Small Zebra Stencil* And this one, which was a little too small and didn’t have enough movement. Zebra Stickers* I even considered these peel-and-stick zebra wall decals*, but I didn’t think I really wanted stickers on the walls in my bathroom. And I thought I was going to have to give up on my stenciling idea. Until I ran across a zebra image on Adobe Stock and decided I could use it to make my own stencil. What You Need Materials Stencil Mylar* – I used 12″ x 17″ sheets so that my zebras were a decent size Silver paint* White paint – I used a latex paint sample can from Sherwin Williams Black paint Tools Die Cutting Machine* Foam Rollers* Foam brush* Step 1: Make The Stencil I made the stencil using my Klik-N-Kut die cutter machine* (but you could use any die cutting machine that will allow you to import .jpg images) and some stencil plastic sheets*. While it is technically possible to create the stencils manually with a utility knife, I think trying to cut out all of the zebra stripes by hand would be very tedious! Looking at the Scalamandre zebras, they have a white background with black stripes. So that meant actually creating 2 stencils…one for the white background and one for the stripes. To do that, I edited the original picture using Photoshop and made 2 new ones. Then I imported the images into the software that comes with the die cutting machine and set it to work! (Read the instructions for your machine if you’re not sure what settings to use for stencil plastic). Step 2: Take It For A Test Run The tricky part about using 2-part stencils is making sure you know how they are supposed to line up. To test it before I actually started messing up the walls, I used a piece of construction paper and some colored pencils. The first step is to color in the background stencil with white. Then take the stripes stencil and position it in the right place. The easiest way to do this is to line up a couple of the easy to identify end points…like the end of the tail, the nose and the end of the zebra’s legs. Use the black color pencil to draw in the stripes. It doesn’t have to be perfect…just enough so that you’re comfortable that you know how they fit together. Tip: If you are using this stencil, the black lines on the zebra’s mane aren’t over the white part, so don’t use the back of the mane to try to line up the stencil (learned from experience). Step 3: Paint The Background I love this silver paint* that I used for the background. It has just enough shine (but not too much) and goes on really easily. For the best results, use a foam roller to roll the silver paint onto the wall. Be careful not to press too hard or you will leave roller marks in the paint. I only had to do one coat, but I was painting over gray (so there wasn’t much difference in the color tone). Step 4: Decide On Your Pattern Figure out where you want the zebras to go. I did mine in a zig-zag pattern going down the wall and had each row facing in the opposite direction. You could also line them up on top of each other or have them facing all the same way. That is the beauty of stencils…you can do whatever pattern you want with them! Step 5: Apply The Background Stencil Start in a corner that is not too obvious. Behind the door is a good spot 🙂 It may take a couple of tries to get the paint on exactly right and this way it won’t be in a noticeable spot. Put up the background stencil. I found that the stencil clung pretty well to the wall without requiring any extra help, but if yours doesn’t you can tape it at the top to hold it in place. Then use the foam roller to cover the entire stencil area with white paint. This part is really easy! Lift off the stencil and move it over to where the next zebra should go. Remember to leave space for the parts of the zebra (like the tail, nose, and feet) that will be a little longer once the black goes on. If you are having the zebras face in different directions like I did, do all of the ones that are facing in the same direction first. Then go back and fill in the ones that are facing in the other direction. You will need to turn the stencil over to do this, and chances are the paint around the edges won’t be completely dry, so you will either need to wait until it is or dry it off thoroughly with some paper towel. When you have finished all of the white backgrounds, it is time to move on to the fun part…the stripes! Step 6: Paint The Stripes Check to make sure that the white paint has dried on the wall. Then position the striped stencil over the white paint, lining it up as you did in the practice run. Don’t worry if you don’t get it lined up perfectly every time (I certainly didn’t!) When they are all done, you won’t really notice it. Dip the foam brush into the black paint and wipe off all of the excess. You don’t want too much paint on the brush or it will look too dark against the white and may run under the stencil. Dab the brush onto the stencil until you have covered all of the striped area with paint. Same as you did with the white paint, it works best to do all of the zebras that are facing in the same direction before moving on to the opposite facing ones. Before you know it, you will have a wall of zebras! Enjoy The Finished Look I know I’ve said this before, but I love the finished look! I had all kinds of people thinking that I had decided to go with the wallpaper. And when I didn’t like the placement of some of the zebras, I was able to have a do-over. Just paint over the zebra with the silver paint, and make him again! Something you definitely can’t do with wallpaper. Hopefully, you now know exactly how to make your own much less expensive version of the Scalamandre zebra wallpaper…all you have to do is figure out where to put them 🙂 Have comments or questions on my DIY Zebra Wallpaper? Tell us in the section below. You Might Also Like
- July Sale! 20% off our Buenos Aires design. Please use coupon code Storage20 at checkout. We made this platform bed to utilize the space under the bed in a functioning, easy to access storage space. The foot of the bed is a solid piece of wood, while both sides are lined with 3 spacious drawers per side. The bed is made from knotty pine and stained Classic Gray. The Rustic Wood Headboard is sold separately. Customize your own by picking any of the Minwax Wood Finish stains! http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains/minwax-wood-finishColors The sample colors shown on Minwax.com are digital representations and will not necessarily be an exact match to our finished product. Please use this site for ideas and convo me to discuss colors. I am happy to send stain samples after purchase. We are not responsible for the final finished color, if no conversation has been made. Minor assembly required. Our Platform Beds and Headboards are built for standard bed/mattress measurements. Sizes are as follows: Twin-39 inches wide by 75 inches long Full-54 inches wide by 75 inches long Queen-60 inches wide by 80 inches long California King-72 inches wide by 85 inches long King-76 inches wide by 80 inches long *Our pieces are made with real wood! Please allow for slight variations from product photos due to original wood color and characteristics. No two pieces are exactly the same! Stain variations are a natural part of real wood furniture. Natural wood comes in various colors, which affect the final stain color. Each piece may have some stain color variations within the different pieces of wood. These variations are a natural and normal part of these beautiful one of a kind pieces! Bed Shipments-Our beds are shipped via Freight shipping and delivered to your door if you are in a single family home or curbside if you are in an apartment building and require a signature. Our delivery companies are not responsible for bringing your product inside, or assembly. If you would like this service, we may be able to arrange it for an EXTRA fee.
- Clothes wardrobe is something that is a necessity in every home and people mostly places it in the bedroom, so here we are showing an idea to create it with your own hands. There is no door on it, the whole wardrobe is open and there is a space for hanging the clothes.
- Creative people have a lot of art supplies! Here are some great way to store and organize those art supplies, from an acrylic painting artist herself.
- Switch up your wall decor and create a bold gallery wall using mirrors. A creative alternative to art and photos, mirrors will reflect light through the room, making it appear more open and airy. Mix different metals, shapes, and sizes to achieve this on-trend modern look. Click to explore this stylish space.
- Shown is a King size Shown with cube nightstand and mattress is a Full size Grey weathered driftwood finish platform bed with 50 horizontal reclaimed wood headboard shown The base is designed to match the naturally weathered reclaimed wood headboard through a series of distressing/aging/ customized layered wax finish. Weight on base is between 200-400 lbs depending on size, and is constructed to be solid and sturdy. Includes -head, foot, sides, center support, slats(to place bed), and headboard with all required hardware to assemble. (handheld drill will be required for assembly) Bed will be delivered unassembled in pieces so one can easily maneuver up stairs through doorways. Twin 51 wide Full 66 wide Queen 72 wide King 88 wide Base height is 13 tall with bed slats set at 10 from floor. Lip of platform is 5 wide. Base wood thickness is 1 1/2 . Made to order, each order is just slightly unique-upon completion I will send photos so that the finish is just right for you. Customized natural wax finish – to keep the look as raw and natural while maintaining a low maintenence sealer that will age gracefully and buff/touch up any damages easily. Thelakenest is an Artisan shop. Beds/Tables/Headboards are handmade and artistically finished one at a time without any commercial equipment or finishing booths. Mother run, made, finished and shipped. Due to unpredictable/uncontrollable volumes of incoming orders we are unable to give a blanketed timeframe. If you are concerned with timing please contact first to see what our current workload is and estimated timeframe. Tricia cottage headboards are made by the oldest son, Tyler. Artistically finished by the daughter, Kahli. This is the only item we are able to offer at a 2 week timeframe and that from time to time gets prolonged due to high volumes. Nightstand shown is https://www.etsy.com/listing/294688709/grey-driftwood-finished-bedside-modern
- $9.95 Flat Rate Shipping in the USA! Canada $29.95. So if you did not realize this and want to order more, just let us know in the notes at check – out and we will combine your order and refund the extra shipping! So that we can make your shopping experience wonderful, please read all the information in this description Perfect for your Bathroom with a little humor! or someone else! Two delightful signs is ready to hang on your wall. The Pirate Sign, First the sign has been painted white and base coated in Marine Blue. The design has been hand painted in White. The second sign (Mermaid) has been painted in white and base coated in Seaglass with white font. Both signs have been finished with a non-toxic sealer. I can do this sign in a variety of colors to match your décor. We now offer this set in three different sizes: Size 1: 8 x 8 x 3/4 Size 2: 10 x 10 x 3/4 Size 3: 11.5 x 11.5 x 3/4 The sign has a key hole drilled in the back so it lays flat against the wall. The stand is not included GIFT WRAPPING SERVICE – We can gift wrap your purchase. We will beautifully wrap your gift and it will include a lovely bow and note card with a personal message (please leave message in the notes section at check-out). To purchase gift wrapping please click on the link below: https://www.etsy.com/listing/109791470/gift-wrapping-servicegiftchristmas? All of the Gingerbread Shoppe’s sign are made from wood. When possible we use re-claimed wood. We make no attempts to cover up knots, grains or other things that natural real wood have. We feel it adds to the beauty and uniqueness of the sign. Because we use paint there can be various shading differences from sign to sign. We feel that this is part of the art of painted signs. ~~~~~~~~~~~~Production Time and Shipping Information ~~~~~~~~ PLEASE BEFORE PURCHASE – CHECK THE SHIPPING POLICIES TAB ABOVE. This tab has the scheduled shipping time for the sign. If you are ordering multiple signs, the time will be based on the longest shipping time for the signs. All the signs ship from Fort Wayne, IN in the USA. Because we start to make orders as soon as we receive orders we do not cancel orders, so please only order when you are certain you are ready to order. USA Orders – we will ship your order either UPS or USPS based on location and time needed to arrive for USA order. INTERNATIONAL orders will be shipped USPS first class unless you upgrade at check – out to a faster service. Please understand that USPS first class can take as long as 30 days. If your country charges any VAT or other taxes/duties/tariffs this is charged when you pick – up or receive the item and is the customer’s responsibility. We have no control over how much is charged, if it is charged and so forth. If you fail to pick up your item because you don’t want to pay this fee and it is return to us, if it is not a custom-made item we will refund the purchase price of the item less a 30% restocking/handling fee. We will not be refunding the shipping fee as we will not be refunded that fee. If the item was custom made, since it cannot be resold, no refunds will be given.
- Come and tour this beautiful lake front summer deck and get awesome inspiration for dressing up your own outdoor space
- Beautiful Craftsman detailing makes this home a delight to look at.A wide foyer has a built-in bench and walk-in coat closet – wonderful features!The open floor plan combines views of four rooms, from the dining room to the kitchen to the two-story great room to the sunny dinette.When you want some alone time, the hearth room or study are both close by.Charming window seats can be found on the landing and in bedrooms 2 and 3.The second floor holds a sumptuous master suite with a romantic corner fireplace. Two sinks, a big soaking tub and large walk-in closet are all part of the master bathroom. For convenience, the laundry room has been placed on the second floor.Finish the lower level and gain an amazing family room and games room with wet bar plus storage and an extra bedroom and bath.NOTE: Contact us if building within a 50 mile radius of the Twin Cities area in Minnesota, as restrictions may apply.Related Plan: Get a slightly smaller version with house plan 73342HS (3,454 sq. ft.).
- A Boho Chic Bedroom is that kind of space that perfectly expresses your personality. Bohemian style is a popular way to express your inner hippie. Not only that, bohemian inspired accents could create a warm atmosphere on the interior design. There are many decorating ideas to help you turn a bedroom into a breathtaking bohemian […]
- In Episode 214 of IKEA Home Tour, the Squad travels to Chicago, IL to help Jessica Waszak surprise her hard-working husband, Scott, with a man cave makeover!…
- IKEA – MALM, Dressing table, , There’s plenty of space for makeup and jewelry in the wide, felt-lined drawer.You don’t need to worry about stains, as the durable